Search results

Filter 251 results for  ""

Narrow Search

  • NEWS #BreakFreeFromPlastic http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    The event organized by the #BreakFreeFromPlastic international movement saw the Council of Mallorca joining through a local event. Also other stakeholders were invited, such as several waste management NGOs, and representatives of the tourism sector, like Booking.com. The local event coincided with a sample collection in the Caragol beach. You can follow the event also...

  • PAGE What we do http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    What we do     BLUEISLANDS Project brings together 14 partners from 8 countries in a systematic effort to properly identify , address and mitigate the effects of the seasonal variation of waste generation on MED islands as an effect of tourism. The issue has been a vexing problem for years but it...

  • NEWS Marine plastics: an overview http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    Green Alliance proposed some info-graphics related to the presence of plastic in the sea, and the importance of some counter-actions to take. For example, it is quite significant that only 6% of the marine plastic goes on the surface, and thereafter on the beaches, with an impact of about €173,000 per year spent by local authorities for cleaning-up. The remaining 94% is...

  • NEWS EU action to combat marine litter http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    The European Parliament Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) held a workshop entitled “EU action to combat marine litter”,on 3 May 2017, with the aim of addressing marine litter in the context of the transition towards a circular economy in Europe. In particular, the Plastic Strategy, provided within the Circulary Economy Action Plan by the EU...

  • NEWS Reuse of gypsum and leftover fish processing in Réunion island http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    Ea eco-enterprises , partner in BLUEISLANDS project, is a French regional cluster which objective is to foster emerging innovative solutions to measure, prevent, minimize or compensate the impacts of human activities on the environment. Ea eco-enterprises represents more than 140 members, gathering a large set of complementary skills: research centers, consulting...

  • NEWS Interview with Antonino Esposito from Hotel Rifiuti Zero® http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    Waste management is an ever increasing aspect of tourism and still, very often, key actors in the tourism industry are faced with barriers to reducing waste. Those barriers are mainly due to a lack of information, time constraints, space and finance . Furthermore, waste management is still generally perceived as an additional burden, instead of a potential income...

  • NEWS Marine litter management in the Mediterranean: The Maltese case http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    The Mediterranean Sea is an enclosed sea with only one opening for water exchange and occupies some 2.5 million km2. The north western shores of the sea are heavily populated and highly urbanised. The southern coast is sparsely populated but population is ever increasing. Coastal tourism is very important accounting to about one third of global tourism. Maritime traffic in...

  • NEWS Mitigating Wastewater Impact http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    Wastewater treatment plants are often undersized to deal with the increase in wastewater during the high season tourist peak. The effect is the alteration of ecosystems and of seawater quality with negative repercussions on tourism itself. BLUEISLANDS is developing a monitoring system to investigate the quality of coastal seawater through short-term macroalgae deployments ...

  • NEWS Monitoring plastic pollution in MED Islands http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    The Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA) is a interdisciplinary research centre of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). It promotes academic research and postgraduate education in the environmental sciences. It aims to improve our understanding of global environmental change, and the nature and causes of environmental problems . In...

  • NEWS Bridging the Science-Practice-Policy Gaps in Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection http://blueislands.interreg-med.eu

    The event will focus on important topics related to the Mediterranena Sea. Protecting biodiversity is crucial to ensure the resilience of the whole Mediterranean, which is facing unprecedented threats and whose resources are depleted by irresponsible practices. While the Mediterranean is a Biodiversity hotspot known for its high rates of endemism, the increasing pressures...